Motor Vehicle Dealer's Licence
Administered by: Department of Mines, Industry Regulation and Safety / Consumer Protection
When is this licence required?

You will need this licence if you intend to deal in motor vehicles. Motor vehicles include cars, motorcycles, commercial vehicles, trucks, caravans and campervans.

There are six categories of licence, which you may hold combinations of:

  • Category A - vehicle sales: buying, selling and auctioning vehicles other than motorcycles, caravans or campervans
  • Category B - motorcycle sales: buying, selling and auctioning motorcycles
  • Category C - caravan sales: buying, selling and auctioning caravans and campervans
  • Category D - vehicle wrecker (dismantler): buying any vehicles for the purpose of dismantling them and selling off the parts
  • Category E - vehicle broker / agent: acting as an agent to facilitate the selling or purchase of any vehicles on behalf of members of the public
  • Category F - vehicle hire and sales: hiring out vehicles, buying vehicles for hiring out, and selling and auctioning any vehicles that have been hired out by the dealer.

What are the eligibility requirements for this licence?

To be eligible for this licence you must:

  • be an individual, partnership or company
  • be at least 18 years old
  • successfully complete the motor vehicle dealer licensing course
  • have sufficient resources to meet the obligations for your intended licence category or categories
  • have no recent significant criminal convictions
  • have authorised premises to operate from
  • hold a current National Police Certificate.

In the case of a partnership or company, you will need to ensure that any relevant partner(s) or director(s) meet the eligibility requirements outlined above.

How much does this licence cost?
Application Fee information is in the attached fee resource.

How often do you need to apply for this licence?
Duration: Up to three years

What forms are available?

What documents provide more information?

What legislation specifies this requirement?
  • Motor Vehicle Dealers Act 1973
  • Motor Vehicle Dealers (Licensing) Regulations 1974

Who can you talk to for more information?
Licensing Services
Consumer Protection
Department of Mines, Industry Regulation and Safety
Mason Bird Building Level 1 303 Sevenoaks Street
WA 6107
East Perth
WA 6892
Telephone: 1300 304 064

More Information

Last updated: 20/08/2021 12:15:36

This information has been provided by the SBDC's Business Licence Finder.

For further information contact SBDC.

© 2022 Small Business Development Corporation. All Rights Reserved.