Explosives Import / Export Licence
Hide Descriptions
When is this licence required?

You will require this licence if you intend to import an authorised explosive to Western Australia from a country outside Australia, or if you intend to export an authorised explosive from Western Australia to a country outside Australia. This licence will enable you to import and/or export explosives, and supply explosives to others who are authorised to possess the explosives. It does not allow you to transport use, store or manufacture explosives for these activities. You will need additional authorisations to transport, use, store or manufacture explosives.

A licence is not required for the movement of explosives between Western Australia and other States and Territories in Australia. If you wish to import or export an unauthorised explosive you must obtain a test permit. Please note that the Agency recommends the use of an accredited dangerous goods consultant to prepare and submit your application. Please consult the Contact Officer for more information. Please consult the Contact Officer for more information.

What are the eligibility requirements for this licence?

To be eligible for this licence you must:

  • Be18 years of age or over;
  • Hold a current Western Australian Dangerous Goods Security Card (DGSC);
  • Have a legitimate reason for handling the explosives;
  • Demonstrate a satisfactory level of experience, knowledge and competency in the safe handling, storage and security of the explosives;
  • Have made adequate arrangements for the safe and secure handling and storage of explosives;
  • Ensure people who will have unsupervised access to the explosives possess a DGSC and are authorised as secure employees;
  • Ensure that only people authorised under the explosives regulations are supplied with explosives;
  • Submit the required application form; and
  • Pay the relevant fee.

Please consult directly with the Contact Officer for more information on any eligibility requirements specific to your approval.

How much does this licence cost?
Application: $169.00 Annual
How often do you need to apply for this licence?
Duration: 5 years.
What forms do you need to complete and what other documents provide more information?
Initial application: Application for an Explosives Import/Export Licence Retrieve the 'Application for an Explosives Import/Export Licence' form.
Can you lodge an appeal?
Yes, with any of the following appeal bodies:

State Administrative Tribunal:
What legislation specifies this requirement?
Dangerous Goods Safety Act 2004
Dangerous Goods Safety (Explosives) Regulations 2007
Who can you talk to for more information?
Licensing Enquiries, Dangerous Goods
Resources Safety
Department of Mines and Petroleum
Mineral House 100 Plain Street
East Perth
WA 6004
Locked Bag 14
Cloisters Square PO
WA 6850
Telephone: (08) 9358 8002
Fax: (08) 9358 8000