You will require this licence if you intend to import an authorised explosive to Western Australia from a country outside Australia, or if you intend to export an authorised explosive from Western Australia to a country outside Australia.
This licence will enable you to import and/or export explosives, and supply explosives to others who are authorised to possess the explosives. It does not allow you to transport use, store or manufacture explosives: for these activities. You will need additional authorisations to transport, use, store or manufacture explosives.
A licence is not required for the movement of explosives between Western Australia and other States and Territories in Australia.
If you wish to import or export an unauthorised explosive you must obtain a test permit.
Please consult the Contact Officer for further information.
In order to obtain a licence, a legitimate purpose must be demonstrated, such as for use for the manufacture of commercial explosives, operating as a registered explosives import/export agent, or transporting or supplying for the above purposes. To be eligible for this licence you must show that, as an individual, or a nominated person on behalf of a company, you:
- Are 18 years of age or over;
- Hold a current WA Dangerous Goods Security Card (DGSC);
- Have a legitimate reason for handling the explosives;
- Can demonstrate a satisfactory level of experience, knowledge and competency in the safe handling, storage and security of the explosives;
- Have made adequate arrangements for the safe and secure handling and storage of explosives;
- Can ensure persons who will have unsupervised access to the explosives possess a DGSC and are authorised as secure employees;
- Can ensure that only persons authorised under the explosives regulations are supplied with explosives;
- Have submitted the required application form; and
- Have paid the relevant fee.
Please consult the application documentation for further details.
Dangerous Goods Safety Act 2004
Dangerous Goods Safety (Explosives) Regulations 2007
Dangerous Goods Unit
Department of Mines and Petroleum
100 Plain Street
Telephone: (08) 9358 8001
Fax: (08) 9358 8000