You will require this licence if you intend to import an authorised explosive to Western Australia from a country outside Australia, or if you intend to export an authorised explosive from Western Australia to a country outside Australia. This licence will enable you to import and/or export explosives, and supply explosives to others who are authorised to possess the explosives. It does not allow you to transport use, store or manufacture explosives for these activities. You will need additional authorisations to transport, use, store or manufacture explosives.
A licence is not required for the movement of explosives between Western Australia and other States and Territories in Australia. If you wish to import or export an unauthorised explosive you must obtain a test permit. Please note that the Agency recommends the use of an accredited dangerous goods consultant to prepare and submit your application. Please consult the Contact Officer for more information. Please consult the Contact Officer for more information.
To be eligible for this licence you must:
- Be18 years of age or over;
- Hold a current Western Australian Dangerous Goods Security Card (DGSC);
- Have a legitimate reason for handling the explosives;
- Demonstrate a satisfactory level of experience, knowledge and competency in the safe handling, storage and security of the explosives;
- Have made adequate arrangements for the safe and secure handling and storage of explosives;
- Ensure people who will have unsupervised access to the explosives possess a DGSC and are authorised as secure employees;
- Ensure that only people authorised under the explosives regulations are supplied with explosives;
- Submit the required application form; and
- Pay the relevant fee.
Please consult directly with the Contact Officer for more information on any eligibility requirements specific to your approval.
Dangerous Goods Safety Act 2004
Dangerous Goods Safety (Explosives) Regulations 2007
Department of Mines and Petroleum
1 Adelaide Terrace
100 Plain Street
Telephone: (08) 9358 8002
Fax: (08) 9358 8000