Bookmaker's Licence
Hide Descriptions
When is this licence required?
You will require this licence if you intend to operate as a bookmaker. A bookmaker provides wagering (betting) services to the general public at race courses or sporting grounds.

Licences are available for individuals, partnerships and body corporates. Please note that if you intend to be a member of a partnership or occupy a position of authority within a body corporate, you will need an additional approval from the Agency.

In order to conduct the activities of a bookmaker at a specific racing course or sporting ground, you must also have received permission from the authority that controls the course or grounds. Please consult the Contact Officer for more information.
What are the eligibility requirements for this licence?
To be eligible for this licence you must:

- Be 18 years of age or over;
- Provide any documentation required by the Agency;
- Submit to a National Police Check;
- Have knowledge of the business of bookmaking;
- Not be a member of a partnership or occupy a position of authority within a body corporate that already holds a Bookmaker's Licence;
- Be considered a fit and proper person;
- Submit the required form; and
- Pay the required fees.

Please consult the Contact Officer for more information regarding eligibility requirements.
Prerequisite licences:
Might Need Bookmaker's Manager Licence
Must Have National Police Certificate
How much does this licence cost?
Application: $695
Licence: If your total turnover is: up to $250,000: $389; between $250,000 and $1,000,000: $793; greater than $1,000,000: $1 190.
How often do you need to apply for this licence?
Duration: Annual.
What forms do you need to complete and what other documents provide more information?
Initial application: Application for a Bookmaker's Licence Retrieve the 'Application for a Bookmaker's Licence' form.
Can you lodge an appeal?
Yes, with any of the following appeal bodies:

Administrative Appeals Tribunal:
What legislation specifies this requirement?
Betting Control Act 1954
Betting Control Regulations 1978
Who can you talk to for more information?
Gaming and Wagering Commision
Gambling Regulation
Department of Racing, Gaming and Liquor
Level 1
87 Adelaide Terrace
East Perth
WA 6004
Telephone: (08) 9425 1888
Fax: (08) 9325 1041
Toll Free: 1800 634 541