You will require this certificate of competency if you intend to act as quarry manager in a quarry where:
- 25 or more persons are employed and where explosives are not used; or
- Less than 25 persons are employed.
A quarry manager has the general directions and control of the quarry operations of the mine. Quarry operations involve activities associated with extraction of minerals or rock from the open pit but do not include administrative or engineering services or the operation of a treatment plant.
If you intend to act as a quarry manager in a quarry where more than 25 persons are employed and where explosives are used, you will require an unrestricted quarry manager certificate
To be eligible for a restricted quarry manager's certificate you must:
- Be at least 21 years of age;
- Have passed the relevant examinations set by the Agency;
- Have the required practical experience in or about a mine for a period of no less than 2 years. 1 of those years must have been in first hand practical experience with quarry pit operations including not less than 3 months of practical experience in the use of explosives and blasting agents in a pit;
- Be of good character; and
- Have received satisfactory training in First Aid.
Please consult the Contact Officer for more information.
Duration: As specified by the Board.
Mines Safety and Inspection Act 1994
Mines Safety and Inspection Regulations 1995
Department of Mines and Petroleum
Mineral House 100 Plain Street
Telephone: (08) 9358 8014
Fax: (08) 9325 2280